WL LOVES LA
WL LOVES LA SHOP THE LOOKBOOK // LOOK TWO Monday, September 09
WL LOVES LA DESIGNER PROFILE // MIXED BUSINESS Friday, September 06
Get to the know the designer behind Mixed Business, Rhianna Tycholis…
1. Is Mixed Business LA your first venture into design? What prompted the designs in your current collection?This is not my first venture into design. The company I owned before this was called Reclaimed Trading which was based out of Brooklyn. Reclaimed Trading included a jewelry line and a vintage/vintage remake line. I learned jewelry making at FIT and that was my first real venture into design.
2. Why is it important to you to make your items locally? It is important to me to make my pieces locally because this is the best way to insure quality, keep dollars in the local economy, and to help build local character and prosperity.
3. Who do you design for? What’s your vision of the Mixed Business customer? I design for women of all ages (seriously) and all ethnicities that are focused on the look and touch of natural fibers. My current collection is basic and boxy and fits most women!
4. Talk to us about the thrill of hunting and finding great vintage…I truly feel like I was born to hunt down great vintage (even more than to design). It’s what I’m really good at. So there is nothing more exciting to me than hunting and buying. We travel all over the country and to other countries to bring these pieces to LA.
5. Do you ever get attached to any of the vintage goods you find?I do get attached to some vintage pieces, but not often. I will never let go of any of my grandmother’s stuff. I was lucky enough to receive an amazing collection of 50’s and 60’s dresses that fit me like a glove. Other pieces I’m attached to include my wedding dress, some of the dresses that were staples of my maternity wardrobe, and the dress I was wearing the day I met my husband. These really really sentimental pieces are the ones I’m attached to 😉
6. What products would you like to design in the future?Oh man, there are lots of things I would love to design in the future. I will definitely revisit jewelry design, and maybe children’s wear. In terms of women’s wear, I will stick to the basics that I know and love.
7. What about living/working/being in LA do you find inspiring?LA has inspired me so much. For me it’s home and after spending years in NY it feels really really good to be back. I find that my customers, my competition, and those who I look up to are warm and receptive and this is very inspiring. I feel there is a ‘we all rise together’ vibe going on here!
Check out all the beautiful Mixed Business pieces for WL LOVES LA!